Monday, January 7, 2008

Mondays!

They've become challenging for me since I started working the early shift (5-9 am) at the YMCA. I need to arrive around 4:40 every Monday so that I can take care of the opening duties (hehe) and get ready for members when they arrive at 5am. Being the person I am, I have been anticipating trouble and trying to figure out ways around it since the beginning. Alas.

I am immensely frustrated because I always (with one exception) have had trouble getting into the building to even begin my work (no key code, key pad broken, blah blah blah), and then today, on my very first day of real wellness coach appointments, my first trainee, an elderly gentleman of 6' 9", passed out in the lobby after his workout (one, which should be mentioned, was neither created nor endorsed by me). The poor guy has a big gash on his forehead, and I feel terribly guilty. I KNOW I didn't ask him to over-exert himself; I KNOW I didn't overlook a medical problem (he told me nearly his entire medical history); and I know I couldn't have prevented his accident, but GEEZ. My very first wellness appointment... it was even worse that his wife, in the post-injury shuffle in the lobby, said to me, "He did the workout you designed for him"( while handing me a clipboard with nearly two hours of workout details). Ahh, no, no he didn't. I hope he's okay. The grumpy old dude worries me.

Anyway, I've been thinking about him all afternoon, hoping and praying he's okay. Wayne, if you're out there still, don't be so stubborn. Follow instructions. Sit down if you're dizzy. Don't try to do everything at once. And most importantly, I know you said you were just waiting to die, but really, there are some amazing things out there that just might make your day. Miracles happen. Don't go yet.

1 comment:

Mama Celeste said...

OH MAN! That stinks that you can do everything correct and still....he passed out. Were the paramedics called? I hope he's OK.

I cannot imagine getting to work at 4:40am!! I would be in "zombie-mode". And not be able to perform my duties (tee hee back at cha).

Hope today is better.