My friend, Ana, is Puerto Rican (moved here two years ago), and she invited us to church this past Saturday (good service). Afterward, we went to her house to have a meal much like she would have made for us back at home. It was SO good, and while we have NO experience cooking this type of food, we're excited to try.
We had yellow rice with chicken, pinto beans with ham--this is the approximate recipe, which is poured over the rice mixture-- and twice-fried green plantains (These were my favorite by far!). I had seconds, and had I not seen the flan in the fridge, I may have had thirds. She was so gracious in hosting our whole family and cooking for everyone.
For dessert, she had prepared cinnamon flan, which is a creamy, chilled custard-like dessert, and over this, she poured a delicious carmelly sauce. It was so good that the little boy said he wants THAT for his birthday instead of cake. Heh. So...
We're hoping Ana will come over and teach Scott (or me) to make that meal as well as she did. We could eat it a few times a week, and if we used brown rice instead of white rice as the foundation, it'll be better for us (and we could still make it yellow)....
We can't wait to eat at Ana's house again or have her over to our house. Maybe I can get a picture of the two of us next time she visits....
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment