Monday, July 14, 2008

Geocaching, anyone?

I personally have not tried it, but as a member of a family about to acquire our first GPS (global positioning system) device, I expect to be participating in some family fun of this type in the near future.

If you don't know what geocaching is, this site explains it all. Essentially, you use a GPS device to track down a "treasure" or cache hidden somewhere, and it literally could be anywhere--hanging from a tree, concealed in a sprinkler head, tucked underneath a road sign, etc. The main clue is the latitude and longitude of the treasure, but most of the hunts provide other clues, like whether the "loot" is off the ground, how large the cache is, etc.

Husband recently went geocaching with a neighbor, John, using John's device, and they had a lot of fun finding the treasure, which, in this case, was a tiny paper scroll that they signed their names on; rather than finding a cache to take (in which case, they'd have to leave something in its place), that trip was good for the sake of finding the location of the cache. They had a great time, and come to find out, there are caches hidden all OVER the place!

I'll let you know how it goes once we try it as a family. Personally, I have my doubts that the girl child will see it as anything other than a forced march, but whatever. I hope I'm wrong. :)

2 comments:

spriolo said...

sounds like fun!

Michelle said...

Sean and one of his classes did this as a project this past year, and he enjoyed it. I bet Joey will love it!